We're pleased to announce that our annual short story contest for Mid-South writers — cosponsored by The Booksellers at Laurelwood and Burke's Book Store — will be held again this year.
The winning story will earn a $1,000 grand prize and will be published in a future issue of Memphis. Two honorable mention awards of $500 each will be given if the quality of entries warrants. Below are contest rules:
1. Authors must live within 150 miles of Memphis.
2. Entries should be postmarked by February 1, 2015. (UPDATE: The deadline has been extended to February 15.)
3. You may submit more than one story, but each entry must be accompanied by a $10 entry fee, with checks or money orders payable to Memphis magazine.
4. Each story should be typed, double-spaced, with unstapled, numbered pages. Stories should be between 3,000 and 4,500 words long. To avoid disqualification, please respect the maximum length.
5. Stories are not required to have a Memphis or Southern theme.
6. With each story should be a cover letter that gives us your name, address, phone number/email, and the title of your story. Please do NOT put your name anywhere on the manuscript itself.
7. Manuscripts may be previously published as long previous publication was not in a national magazine with over 20,000 circulation or in a regional publication within Shelby County.
8. Manuscripts should be sent to FICTION CONTEST, c/o Memphis magazine, P. O. Box 1738, Memphis, TN 38101. NOTE: We cannot accept faxes or emails. Authors wishing their manuscripts returned must include a self-addressed stamped envelope with each entry.
Winners will be contacted by April 2015. If you have further questions, contact Marilyn Sadler at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to receiving your stories.