We have changed the timeframe of this annual competition for Mid-South writers. We will start accepting entries in October 2012, and the deadline for entries will be February 1, 2013.
As in the past, the winning story will earn a $1,000 grand prize and will be published in our annual culture issue in June 2013. Two honorable mention awards of $500 each will be given if the quality of entries warrants. Below are contest rules:
1. Authors must live within 150 miles of Memphis.
2. Entries must be postmarked by February 1, 2013.
3. You may submit more than one story but each entry must be accompanied by a $10 entry fee, with check or money orders payable to Memphis magazine.
4. Each story should be typed, double-spaced, with unstapled, numbered pages.
5. Stories should be between 3,000 and 4,500 words long.
6. Stories are not required to have a Memphis or Southern theme.
7. With each story should be a cover letter that gives us your name, address, phone number, and the title of your story. Please do not put your name anywhere on the manuscript itself.
8. Manuscripts may be previously published as long as previous publication was not in a national magazine with over 20,000 circulation or in a regional publication within Shelby County.
9. Manuscripts should be sent to Fiction Contest, c/0 Memphis magazine, P.O. Box 1738, Memphis, TN 38101. Please do not send fzxes or emails. Authors wishing their manuscripts returned must include a self-addressed stamped envelope with each entry.
Winners will be contacted in late March or early April 2013.
The contest is cosponsored by Burke's Book Store and The Booksellers of Laurelwood.
If you have further questions, email email@example.com.
Note: The winner of our 2011 contest will appear in the June 2012 issue of Memphis.