The Paxton Gas Station Mystery

Where was this old gas station located in Memphis?

by

Tags

by

Comments (6)

Comment Feed

Paxton Gas Station maybe,,,

It looks like either the gas station on McLean @ Faxon avenue by Snowden school OR the ESSO station at Jackson/Watkins which was owned by Mr. Sheffield across from the old Topps Barbecue there on the corner..

David Richardson 10 days ago

Paxton Gas Station Mystery

Could be another Memphis: http://memphismagazine.com/features/columns/nine-places-named-memphis-that-arent-our-memphis/

William Webb 353 days ago

Paxton

That looks like a 1947 Ford with a 1951 Chevy in the background. There was a Paxton Esso in Sheridan, Arkansas in the 1950's.

d3ei 360 days ago

Paxton

Check the make/model of the car in detail--I'm no car buff, but it looks like it could be from the late '40's. Obviously, if it is later that rules out the '40's!

Ed Riddick more than 1 year ago

Paxton

I think the sign says "Bob Paxton." And as Peter points out, it's a five digit phone number which might help date the picture. It's fuzzy when I enlarge it but I think the first two numbers are "34."

Dwayne Byrd more than 1 year ago

Paxton

I don't know where it is, but it is a brand new station as evidenced by the man on the ladder installing the awning. if I had my super secret digital enhancement feature on my computer still we would see that on the awning it reads "AV ? Paxton" "ESSO Autorized Dealer" "Phone ?? ????" that's all I Gots

Peter Wertz more than 1 year ago

Advertiser

Vance Lauderdale

Ask Vance is the blog of Vance Lauderdale, the award-winning columnist of Memphis magazine and Inside Memphis Business. Vance is the author of four books: Ask Vance: The Best Questions and Answers from Memphis Magazine’s History and Trivia Expert (2003), as well as Ask Vance: More Questions and Answers from Memphis Magazine’s History Expert (2011), Vance Lauderdale’s Lost Memphis (2013), and Vance Lauderdale’s More Lost Memphis (2014). He is also the recipient of quite a few nice awards (including “Best Blog - 2017” from the Society of Professional Journalists Green Eyeshade Awards), the creator of several eye-catching wall calendars, and the only person we know with a vintage shock-treatment machine in his den.

Advertiser